Monday, January 28, 2013

Meeting the people of the Bahamas

So now I have had my haircut in Georgetown, been to the markets & pubs, had the air card setup at J&K Productions by Julius but wait........."Rescue Randy" need a PVC "t" for his plumbing and I was going into town for something.....so I will pick it up for him at "Tops - to - Bottom", the local hardware store.

Nope, it doesn't exist but I did find the silicone grease I was looking for.  While in the store the owner mentioned that I should be able to find a "t" at the lumber yard and it was only 2 miles down the road.  Too far for a walk but she said just to stick out the thumb and you will get a ride in no time.....

So, what the heck??!!  Two minutes later I was going down the road with Ralph.  He is now down to a couple of days until he retires as the airport manager so he wasn't in a hurry.

First he says "lets check out the NAPA store to see if they have it and besides it's on the way".  No "t" there so off we go to the lumber yard..........no "t" there but the salesman tells Ralph that maybe the Irrigation and Water store may have one.  I tell Ralph that it isn't a big deal but he says "get in....no problem".

So........again we are driving down the road another 1/2 mile and to the store.  YES!  They have it and it is only $1.25.  I pay up and tell Ralph thanks..........but nope......he insists that he will now drive me all the way back to the dinghy dock.

We talk fishing and eating fish.  He tells me that he and his wife are going on a cruise when he retires and he tells me he has been to Toronto and NYC.  Maybe someday he will see snow but I tell him not to hurry.......it's much nicer here.  He says that there are days when they take for granted what they have in their own backyard.  How do you go on vacations when you live here??.......Syracuse I can understand why we want to get away, but here??!!

We really love meeting the people here!  The water is beautiful, the beaches are super but the people........nothing can beat them!
The folks of "Big D's"  Tony, Judas and Sherelle

No comments:

Post a Comment